Jesus Calls the Disciples
Luke 5:1-11 KJV — Peter (Simon), Andrew, James, and John
“1. And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon Him [Christ] to hear the word of God, He stood by the lake of Gennesaret,
2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
3. And He entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And He sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
4. Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, ‘Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.’
5. And Simon answering said unto Him, ‘Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at Thy word I will let down the net.’
6. And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7. And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
8. When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, ‘Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.’
9. For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
10. And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, ‘Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
11. And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed Him.”
John 1:43-50 KJV — Philip, Bartholomew (Nathanael)
“43. The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, ‘Follow me.’
44. Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
45. Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found Him [Christ], of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
46. And Nathanael said unto him, ‘Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?’ Philip saith unto him, ‘Come and see.’
47. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and saith of him, ‘Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!’
48. Nathanael saith unto Him, ‘Whence knowest Thou me?’ Jesus answered and said unto him, ‘Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.’
49. Nathanael answered and saith unto Him, ‘Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.’
50. Jesus answered and said unto him, ‘Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.'”
Mark 2:13-17 KJV — Matthew (Levi)
“13. And He [Christ] went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto Him, and He taught them.
14. And as He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, ‘Follow Me.’ And he arose and followed Him.
15. And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and His disciples: for there were many, and they followed Him.
16. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto His disciples, ‘How is it that He eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?’
17. When Jesus heard it, He saith unto them, ‘They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.'”